Summer vege curry
- ½ cup brown rice
- oil spray
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, cut in small chunks
- 1 carrot, angle sliced
- 3 tablespoons tandoori paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 70g taro, peeled and cut in small chunks (see tips), or use kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, plus 2 tablespoons extra, to garnish
- In a saucepan, cover rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves, if using. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove curry leaves.
- Add eggplant and carrot, stirring to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tandoori paste and tomatoes and stir. Add taro and 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding more water if needed, until taro is cooked through and soft. Stir through chilli and kaffir lime leaves, reserving a bit of each to garnish. Remove curry from heat and stir through yoghurt.
- Serve curry with rice, garnished with extra yoghurt and remaining kaffir lime leaves and chilli.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
Make it vegan: Use a vegan yoghurt and check tandoori paste is vegan.
If using taro, wear gloves and cook thoroughly, to avoid hand, skin, mouth and throat itching caused by a substance in raw taro called calcium oxalate (see our feature In season January for more information).
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $86. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us