Vegetarian pad Thai
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 450g firm tofu, cut in cubes
- ¼ cup) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 200g dried flat rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1 onion, cut in thin wedges
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, cut in thin strips
- 1 red capsicum, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups bean sprouts, trimmed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- ¼ cup crushed unsalted peanuts, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
1 To make marinade, combine first measure of soy sauce, kecap manis, garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Place tofu in a shallow, non-metallic dish and pour marinade over. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2 Place second measure of soy sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
3 Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover and stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4 Heat half the oil in a wok over a high heat. With a slotted spoon add tofu in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from wok and set aside.
5 Add the remaining oil to wok with onion and chilli and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add capsicum and sprouts. Stir-fry for 1 more minute.
6 Add the reserved noodles, lime juice mixture, chives and coriander to wok and toss gently over a high heat for 2 minutes or until noodles are coated in sauce and heated through. Return tofu to wok and cook for 1 more minute.
7 Serve immediately sprinkled with peanuts and lime wedges.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce, kecap manis and tofu.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us