Yummy fruit cake
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup diced dried dates
- 1 cup diced dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons no-added-sugar marmalade (we used St Dalfour)
1 In a large bowl, stir together dried fruit, spices and juice. Soak for 2 hours.
2 Preheat the oven to 150°C. Mash bananas and mix them in. Add eggs. Add flour and stir. Pour into a greased cake tin. Bake for about 1 hour until skewer comes out clean.
3 While cake is still hot, smear marmalade on top. Some marmalade will soak into the cake.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
–Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
- Decorate with pecan halves or almond halves.
- You can use cranberries instead of raisins, or peaches instead of apricots.
- If you want an egg-free recipe, omit the eggs.
- To make this cake a ‘celebration’ cake (eg. for a birthday or Christmas), dust the cool cake with icing sugar and place a few glacé cherries on top. (Did you know glacé cherries aren’t very healthy? They are made by boiling the fruit in a strong, sugary syrup. This makes the fruit lose its colour so the factory adds artificial red or green colouring.)
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us