Yummy fruit cake
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup diced dried dates
- 1 cup diced dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons no-added-sugar marmalade (we used St Dalfour)
1 In a large bowl, stir together dried fruit, spices and juice. Soak for 2 hours.
2 Preheat the oven to 150°C. Mash bananas and mix them in. Add eggs. Add flour and stir. Pour into a greased cake tin. Bake for about 1 hour until skewer comes out clean.
3 While cake is still hot, smear marmalade on top. Some marmalade will soak into the cake.
- Decorate with pecan halves or almond halves.
- You can use cranberries instead of raisins, or peaches instead of apricots.
- If you want an egg-free recipe, omit the eggs.
- To make this cake a ‘celebration’ cake (eg. for a birthday or Christmas), dust the cool cake with icing sugar and place a few glacé cherries on top. (Did you know glacé cherries aren’t very healthy? They are made by boiling the fruit in a strong, sugary syrup. This makes the fruit lose its colour so the factory adds artificial red or green colouring.)
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
–Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.