Asian infused chicken stock
- 400g chicken carcasses and drumstick bones
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced and bashed
- 1 Makrut lime leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 cups water
1 In a large pot place chicken bones with vegetables and seasonings. Pour over water and bring to the boil. Skim off any foam and reduce heat to simmer.
2 Simmer gently for just over two hours, skimming as necessary. Strain the stock into a jug through a sieve and discard bones. Leave to cool and then place in fridge to chill.
3 Once cold divide the stock into four containers and clearly label before freezing or chilling.
Tips for making homemade stock
- Use a deep pot to ensure bones and vegetables are completely immersed.
- Add cold water, not hot water, to your pan as this ensures the stock cooks slowly and evenly.
- Use bones only, as a classic stock flavour is derived from bones and not from the meat.
- For a beef stock, brown the bones in the oven first to give more depth of flavour.
Two key processes
Skimming: When stock comes to the boil, use a slotted spoon to remove the foam that floats to the top. Skimming allows for a clear stock and more concentrated flavour.
Straining: Once stock has been cooked, strain it through a fine sieve or clean tea towel and cool as quickly as possible.
Store in airtight containers, either in the fridge for five days or freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Label all stocks clearly with the flavour and date made.
If you are cooking smaller amounts of food, you can make stock cubes by pouring into ice trays.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
No nutrition information available for this recipe.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us