Bacon and egg pie
Time to make: 1 hr 10 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 9 sheets filo pastry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted reduced-fat spread
- 250g lean bacon, diced
- 3 spring onions, finely diced, or 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 eggs, whisked with freshly ground black pepper
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Lay 1 filo pastry sheet on a large board. Brush very thinly with melted spread. Lay another sheet on top and repeat until you have 6-sheet stack. Line base and sides of a large baking dish (about 25x30cm) with filo pastry stack.
2 Sprinkle with bacon, onions and peas.Gently pour eggs over.
3 With remaining filo make a 3-sheet filo pastry stack. Fold in half and place carefully on top pie. Trim or fold in edges as required. Pierce pastry in several places (with a knife or fork) to allow steam to escape.
4 Bake for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 180°C. Cook for 40-45 more minutes until pastry is golden and filling feels firm when tested with a knife. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Add tomato: Slice 2 medium-sized tomatoes thinly and place slices on top of bacon before adding spring onions and peas.
- Add potato: Chop leftover cooked potato in small chunks and add to pie with peas and spring onions.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us