Cauliflower and barley pilaf with smoked fish
- 2 cups quick-cook barley or 1 cup regular barley (see tip)
- spray oil
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped or minced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ head cauliflower, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 300g smoked fish, flaked
- 4 tablespoons low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 cup fresh coriandercilantroX, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
1 Cook barley according to packet instructions. Set aside.
2 Spray a pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Cook ginger and spring onions for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add cooked barley, grated cauliflower and curry powder and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
3 Add peas and baby spinach and cook until greens are wilted. Stir in smoked fish and half of the coriander. Serve pilaf garnished with yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, chilli and remaining coriander.
For regular barley, simmer for 30-40 minutes, until tender.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us