Chicken, tomato and olive casseroleReviewed by our expert panel
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups sorghum
- cooking spray oil
- 500g skinless chicken thighs, cut in 3cm cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 80g rindless eye bacon, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup (80ml) white wine
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- handful fresh rosemary
- ⅓ cup (50g) pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cups green beans, topped and tailed
- Black Pepper
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- Boil water in kettle then pour into a large pot. Add sorghum then cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and grain has plumped up, about 50 minutes. It should be tender with a pleasant bite.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and spray with oil. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan again with oil and add onion, bacon and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, rosemary, olives and chicken to pan. Stir to combine then bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with a generous amount of black pepper. Add a little water if necessary so it’s nice and saucy – sorghum appreciates a saucy dish.
- Serve chicken with sorghum, garnished with fresh parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check bacon is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information