(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 350g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or dried oregano
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 x 25cm wholemeal wraps (we used Mountain Bread)
- ¼ cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheese (we used Noble)
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup chopped coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray chicken lightly with oil, place on the tray and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes until cooked but still tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion begins to soften. Add tomatoes, carrot, corn, mushrooms, spinach and beans and bring to a simmer. Season with oregano and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven, drain juice from tray and shred with two forks. Add to tomato mixture. Divide the mixture among the wraps (reserving some for grown-up tortillas, if desired; see note left). Roll tortillas into cigars and lay next to each other in the baking tray. Spread a little enchilada sauce on each roll and sprinkle cheese over.
- Place tray in the oven and cook until the tortillas are golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve enchiladas with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream and garnish with coriander.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tortillas and check that enchilada sauce, sour cream and chipotle sauces (if using) are gluten free.
Tweak the taste: Once you have filled all the kids’ tortillas, stir 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers and/or 2 tablespoons hot chipotle sauce through the remainder of the chicken mix. Fill the other tortillas with this mix and cook on a separate tray so you don’t get confused at serving up time! Serve with additional jalapeno peppers and hot sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.