Creamy black-eyed beans
- 1 ½ cups (300g) dried black-eyed beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 400g can Wattie’s Indian-style tomatoes
- 250g mushrooms, cut in half, thick slices or leave whole
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 2 cups green beans (frozen baby beans are ideal)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Drain soaked beans then boil beans in fresh water for at least 10 minutes. Drain, then add to slow cooker.
2 Add all the remaining ingredients except pumpkin and green beans. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
3 Add pumpkin and green beans, turn heat to high and cook for 30-60 more minutes or until pumpkin is cooked. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve with rice and salad. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check flavoured tomatoes, spices and tomato sauce are gluten free.
To save a little time at the end, steam pumpkin and beans before adding. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.