Creamy tuna and broccoli pasta bake
(at time of publication)
- 200g penne pasta
- 500g (6 cups) broccoli florets
- spray oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 185g can tuna in spring water, drained, flaked
- 2 tablespoons sliced oil-free sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil (optional)
- 4 cups baby rocketarugulaX, with 4 tablespoons balsamic dressing (made with 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
1 Cook pasta in a medium-sized saucepan following packet directions. Add broccoli in the last 3-4 minutes of cooking. Drain. Preheat grill to high. Spray a 6-cup-capacity ovenproof baking dish with oil.
2 Melt spread in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add flour, garlic and chilli flakes. Stir until mixture thickens and bubbles.
3 Remove from heat and gradually whisk in milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
4 Add tuna and tomatoes to pan, then stir in pasta and broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella. Grill for 4-5 minutes or until cheese has browned and melted. Top with basil (if using) and serve with rocket and dressing.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace tuna with 100g reduced-fat ricotta cheese and add red capsicum strips for extra flavour.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and flour. If using pre-grated mozarella, check this is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information