Italian tofu meatballs
- 300g tofu, mashed*
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 2 slices gluten-free grain bread, crumbed
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or handful fresh basil, plus extra fresh basil, to garnish
- oil spray, to grease
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to beI sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a bowl. Mix well.
2 Shape into 16-20 balls (depending on the size).
3 Spray a non-stick baking dish with oil. Add tofu balls and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Turn tofu balls over and bake for 15 more minutes.
4 To serve, toss tofu balls with rice or gluten-free pasta and tomato sauce. Serve sprinkled with fresh basil.
WINNER: Special diets category
HFG reader recipe competition 2009
Lois McLeay, Auckland
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
Lois says: “I have served these to non-vegetarians and they have not known there was no meat in these ‘meat’-balls. These are a great way to have a ‘meatless’ meal. They freeze well and I work on four meatballs per person, so doubling the recipe goes a long way.”
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us