Vegetarian lentil, squash and spinach dhal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 1 /2 cups pack diced butternut squash and KumaraSweet-potatoX
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups very low salt vegetable stock
- 10 cups baby spinach
- 4 small reduced-fat naan breads
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yogurt, to serve
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Sauté the onion for 5 min or until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, mustard seeds and turmeric, then cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
2 Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the squash and kumara, lentils and stock to the pan, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15–20 min until the lentils are tender and the dhal is thick.
3 Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 min or until wilted. Season with ground black pepper. Meanwhile, warm the naan breads.
Serve the dhal with the yogurt and warmed naan breads.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6.8g
–Saturated fat 1.4g
Dietary fibre 8.9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Baby spinach recipes