Mexican-style beef and quinoa bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.4kg beef blade roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g sachet reduced-salt taco seasoning
- 3 wide strips orange peel
- 2 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 400g can no-added salt black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 250g punnets cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- ¹⁄³ cup pickled sliced jalapeños, drained
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish with fitted lid over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add beef and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to a bowl.
2 Heat remaining oil in same dish. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add orange peel, stock, tomatoes and ¾ cups water, stirring to combine.
3 Once mixture comes to the boil, return beef to dish, cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove lid and cook for a further 1–1¼ hours or until beef is tender. Using two forks, shred beef.
4 Divide quinoa among six serving bowls. Top each with beef, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and jalapeños. Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
If you can’t find beef blade roast, any other cheap cut of beef, such as gravy, shin or skirt, will also work well in this slow-cooked dish.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19.1g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10.6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like