Spaghetti with marinara sauce
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1–2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2–1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- sprinkling of chilli flakes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 300g wholegrain spaghetti
- 400g fresh or frozen (thawed) marinara seafood mix
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, to season
- 8 fresh mussels (see tip)
- To serve
- 1 lemon, sliced in wedges
- 4 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part oil)
- 4 slices crusty bread
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Cook onion and garlic in oil over a medium heat until softened. Add paprika, chilli flakes, tomatoes, stock and ½ cup water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
2 Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until tender, drain, retaining a little of the cooking water and return to pan.
3 Add seafood mix to tomato sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Add parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add prepared mussels, cover with a lid and cook for a final 2 minutes. Discard any mussels that remain closed. Adjust seasoning.
4 Place a serving of spaghetti on each plate with the sauce and mussels. Serve with lemon wedges, rocket with dressing and crusty bread.
For a thicker sauce, mix 2 teaspoons cornflour with a little water to make a paste and then add to the pan after cooking for 3 minutes. Stir until thickened.
Use packaged lemon juice if you don’t have fresh lemons.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free spaghetti and bread and check smoked paprika and chicken stock are gluten free. If thickening, check cornflour is gluten free.
To prepare mussels, scrub shells under cold running water. Remove any beards from shells. Now they are ready to cook.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)