Charred vegetable and beef skewers with slaw
Last updated date: 12 December 2022
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 500g lean rump steak, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large yellow capsicum, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 small courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut into 1cm thick rounds
- 200g grape tomatoes
- ½ small red or white cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled, grated
- 4 shallots, green tops only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup lactose-free plain yoghurt (check it doesn’t contain inulin which is high-FODMAP)
- 2 cups steamed brown rice, to serve
- 8 skewers
1 Combine the olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, oregano and chilli in a shallow dish. Add beef and turn to coat. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
2 Thread the beef, capsicum, courgettes and tomatoes, alternately on 8 skewers. Heat a large chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate over high heat. Cook skewers, turning, for 5–6 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and beef is cooked to your liking.
3 Meanwhile, combine cabbage, carrot and shallots in a large bowl. Combine the yoghurt and remaining lemon juice. Add yoghurt dressing to slaw, toss to combine. Serve skewers with slaw and brown rice.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes before using to prevent burning during cooking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12.4g
–Saturated fat 3.4g
Dietary fibre 6.8g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.