Curried veges with grilled steak and coconut riceReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon massaman curry paste
- 1 tablespoon chilli paste (we used gochujang)
- 250g lean sirloin steak
- spray oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, sliced
- 3 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach
- In a saucepan, cover brown rice with 3/4 cup water and add coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine curry and chilli pastes with a little hot water to thin slightly. Spray a pan with oil and place over a high heat. Add steak and cook for 1 minute each side until browned. Remove from heat and spread steak with half the curry paste mixture. Place pan in oven for 5-10 minutes, until steak is cooked to your liking. Or, if you don’t have an ovenproof pan, place steaks in a baking dish. Remove steak from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- While steak is resting, place the steak pan over a medium-high heat. Spray again with oil and add garlic, spring onion and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add courgettes and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add remaining curry paste mixture and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 1 minute then add 1/4 cup water. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Divide veges and rice between two plates. Slice steak thinly and serve.
Make it gluten free: Check curry paste and chilli paste are gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP: Check curry paste and chilli paste do not contain garlic or onion. Swap garlic clove for garlic-infused olive oil. Use only green part of spring onions.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $112. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information