Vegetarian lentil burgers with hummus
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 400g can brown lentils in water, drained but not rinsed
- 1 medium egg
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs made from seeded bread
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- To serve
- 4 bread rolls
- 8 tablespoons hummus
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- a few lettuce leaves
- chopped parsley, to garnish
1 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Gently fry the onion and garlic for several min, until the onion is translucent. Add the mixed herbs and cook for 1 min.
2 In a large bowl, combine the lentils, egg, breadcrumbs and tomato purée with the onion mix and crush lightly with a potato masher to bring the mixture together.
3 Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan. Shape the lentil mix into four burgers. Lightly fry both sides until the burgers are dark golden (about 4–6 min in total). Remove them from the pan and put on kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
Serve the burgers in the sliced bread rolls, topped with the hummus, tomatoes and lettuce and garnished with the parsley.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19.3g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7.9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.