Parsnip and mustard soup with parmesan crisps
(at time of publication)
- 3 parsnips, unpeeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 cups 2cm-cubed Desiree potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 reduced-salt vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- 1 cup trim milk
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard, or to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan
- 4 slices toasted wholegrain bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Boil 1 litre of water in the kettle.
- Place parsnips and potatoes in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 cup cold water. Cover and cook on high for 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat olive oil over a medium-high heat. Gently fry onion for 3 minutes, or until soft. Add stock cubes, milk, mustard and 1 litre boiling water. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- On the prepared tray place 4 heaped tablespoons parmesan, about 5cm apart. Flatten slightly. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese turns golden. Set aside to slightly cool on tray.
- Add parsnip and potato to milk mixture. Blend soup with a stick blender, until smooth. Return to the boil, if needed. Divide soup among 4 serving bowls, garnish with chives and serve with parmesan crisps and toast.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check mustard and stock are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us