Spicy chickpeas with chargrilled chickenReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sprinkling of ground coriandercilantroX
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 400g fresh tomatoes, chopped or pulsed
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon hot harissa paste
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring water, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- spray oil
- 4 wholemeal pita breads, toasted
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic dressing (made from 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette to 1 tablespoon oil)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
1 Slice each chicken breast. Sprinkle with ground coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice. Set to one side.
2 Put tomatoes, seeds, paste and chickpeas in pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half the fresh coriander. Keep warm.
3 Heat pan with oil spray. Once hot, add chicken. Cook until golden brown, turning once.
4 Serve toasted pita breads on plates, topped with chickpeas and chicken. Add a spoonful of yoghurt and remaining coriander. Serve with spinach tossed in dressing and a lemon wedge.
For extra spice, add a chopped red chilli to the tomato and chickpeas.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flat bread and check ground coriander and harissa are gluten free.
You can buy harissa from specialty shops and some supermarkets, or make your own.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information