Spicy chickpeas with chargrilled chicken
(at time of publication)
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sprinkling of ground coriandercilantroX
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 400g fresh tomatoes, chopped or pulsed
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon hot harissa paste
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring water, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- oil spray
- 4 wholemeal pita breads, toasted
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic dressing (made from 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette to 1 tablespoon oil)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
1 Slice each chicken breast. Sprinkle with ground coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice. Set to one side.
2 Put tomatoes, seeds, paste and chickpeas in pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half the fresh coriander. Keep warm.
3 Heat pan with oil spray. Once hot, add chicken. Cook until golden brown, turning once.
4 Serve toasted pita breads on plates, topped with chickpeas and chicken. Add a spoonful of yoghurt and remaining coriander. Serve with spinach tossed in dressing and a lemon wedge.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
For extra spice, add a chopped red chilli to the tomato and chickpeas.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flat bread and check ground coriander and harissa are gluten free.
You can buy harissa from specialty shops and some supermarkets, or make your own.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us