Taco bowl with spicy beans
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 350g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 1cm cubes
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup water
- 120g baby spinach or salad leaves
- 1 large telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- 80g feta, crumbled
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
2 Add tomatoes; simmer for 3–4 minutes. Add chopped kumara, black beans and water and bring to the boil. Partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until kumara is tender and mixture is thick.
3 Meanwhile, divide baby spinach and sliced cucumber between serving bowls. Top with kumara and bean mixture, sliced avocado and crumbled feta.
Make it vegan: Use vegan feta cheese.
Make it gluten free: Check ground cumin is gluten free.
You can freeze the kumara and black bean mixture to use on busy nights.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.