Tasty beef soupReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 400g lean beef, cut in small pieces
- oil spray
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 swede, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup diced pumpkin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bouquet garni (see tip)
- 1-2 teaspoons dried red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid beef stock made with 3 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt-reduced beef stock powder
- 100g vermicelli noodles
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Heat a non-stick pan with oil and brown beef in batches. Place in slow cooker. Brown onions in pan with a little oil spray. Add to slow cooker.
2 Place all the remaining ingredients except noodles in slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Mix well. Season.
3 Cook noodles following packet directions and add to pot for the final 10 minutes. Serve soup garnished with chopped fresh parsley if preferred.
- The chilli flakes give this soup a little kick. Omit chilli flakes for a less spicy taste.
- Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste, stock and noodles are gluten free.
Find the bouquet garni — a tea-bag sachet of mixed dried herbs — in the dried herbs section at the supermarket.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information