Vegan lentil ‘meatloaf’ with tomato chilli salsa
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained (see tip)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup quick-cook oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 250g punnet medley cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup small basil leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 160g mixed salad leaves
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2 Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the capsicum and the garlic and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Set the mixture aside to cool.
3 In a food processor, place cooled onion mixture, lentils, cooked quinoa and oats. Pulse until well combined, keeping some of the texture. Place mixture on prepared tray and shape mixture into a 10cm-wide log. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until golden.
4 Meanwhile, in a bowl combine cherry tomatoes, basil, chilli flakes and lemon juice. Season with cracked black pepper. Slice ‘meatloaf’ and serve with salsa and salad leaves.
Make sure you drain the canned lentils well so that the mixture is not too soft
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5.5g
–Saturated fat 0.8g
Dietary fibre 13.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information