Spicy stuffed eggplant
- ⅓ cup couscous
- 1 small eggplantaubergineX, halved lengthways
- spray oil
- 1 teaspoon harissa paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 dried apricots, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 100g canned chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed
- ½ tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, plus extra leaves, torn, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated reduced-fat cheddar
1 Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the couscous in a bowl and pour in 1/3 cup boiling water. Cover and leave to stand for 5 min or until the water has been absorbed.
2 Meanwhile, cut away the flesh from inside the eggplant halves using a small sharp knife, leaving a 1cm thick layer in the skins, then scoop out with a spoon. Dice the flesh.
3 Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add the diced eggplant flesh, harissa paste, garlic and spring onions. Cook for 3–4 min until soft.
4 Remove the frying pan from the heat. Add the couscous with the last of the ingredients, except the cheese. Mix well, then spoon into the skins and sprinkle with the cheese.
5 Put the stuffed eggplant halves into a small baking dish. Pour a little boiling water into the dish around the eggplant to just cover the base. Bake for 20 min or until the eggplant is tender and the topping is golden. Serve garnished with extra chopped mint.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 46.4g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 16.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.