Yummy carrot cake
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 115g reduced-fat spread (I use Logical lite)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ¼-½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 1 large or 2 small bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons apple purée
- 200g reduced-fat soft cheese
- 3 tablespoons icingfrostingX sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 kiwifruit, sliced
- 1 tablespoon zest of lemon lemon (optional)
- mint sprigs (optional)
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper and lightly spray with non-stick baking spray.
2 Cream the sugar and low-fat spread together until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time using a wooden spoon. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the flour, cinnamon and carrots. Add the dates, banana and apple sauce and stir until evenly mixed.
3 Spoon into the tin and bake for 35 minutes until slightly risen, golden brown and firm to touch. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. Cool completely before making the topping.
4 For the topping, combine all the ingredients and use to cover the surface of the cake. Cut into even-sized pieces. Top with slices of kiwifruit, lemon zest and mint.
Be sure to grate your carrot on a fine grater. This carrot cake freezes well un-iced.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.4g
–Saturated fat 2.5g
Dietary fibre 2.1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.