Roman polenta with vegetable ragu
(at time of publication)
- 2 cups 2cm-cubed pumpkin
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- oil spray
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen broad beansfavaX, podded and peeled
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach or silver beet
- 2 cups instant polenta
- ¼ cup grated parmesan, plus 2 extra tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced toasted almonds, to garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pumpkin and cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 litre of liquid, and set aside.
- Spray a heavy-based fry pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, tomatoes, cauliflower, pumpkin and spinach and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with pinch of salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the large pot, bring reserved cooking water back to boil. Reduce heat and whisk in a thin stream of polenta. Stir well for 1 minute or until polenta reaches a pourable porridge consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt and sour cream.
- Pour polenta over a large wooden board, top with ragu and garnish with remaining parmesan and almonds (if using). To serve, divide among four plates.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan parmesan alternative and omit sour cream.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information