Quiche made healthier, with new potatoes and salad
- olive oil spray
- 2 large filo pastry sheets, each folded in half
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- handful of basil leaves
- 100g spinach, chopped
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- ⅔ cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 600g new potatoes, boiled, to serve
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4. Lightly spray a 20cm diameter round ovenproof dish or tart tin with oil. Line with the pastry, allowing a slight overhang. Spray the pastry with a little oil, then set aside.
2 Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and put over a medium heat. Add the capsicum, mushrooms and onion, then cook for 5 min or until softened. Stir in the basil and spinach and heat through. Spoon the mixture over the pastry base.
3 In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, milk and parmesan. Pour over the vegetables, stirring a little. Bake for 25 min or until the egg is set and the pastry is lightly golden. Serve with the salad and potatoes.
We made it healthier by…
– Swapping a shortcrust pastry case for filo pastry, which contains very little saturated fat.
– Replacing the traditional bacon with mushrooms, capsicums and spinach, making it count towards your five-a-day.
– Using cottage cheese and parmesan instead of a large amount of cheddar.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10.1g
–Saturated fat 3.6g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Cottage cheese recipes
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.