Spicy meatballs in tomato ginger sauce
- 650g lean pork mince ground beefXor beef mince
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 1 cup shredded vegetables (eg. cabbage, celery, kale, silver beet)
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon chilli paste (I used Korean gochujang)
- ¼ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- To serve
- 5 cups cooked noodles
- 5 cups cooked silver beet or cooked spinach
1 Preheat slow cooker and turn to low. In a large bowl combine pork, green part of spring onions, carrot, vegetables, miso, chilli paste, coriander and chilli. Mix together well using clean hands. Form into 25 evenly-sized balls.
2 If your slow cooker has a ‘saute’ function, use it to brown garlic and ginger in oil for 1 minute. Alternatively, brown garlic and ginger in oil in a non-stick pan then return to slow cooker. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Mix to combine then place meatballs evenly inside slow cooker.
3 Cook in slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Serve meatballs over noodles with silver beet or spinach.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Make it low FODMAP: Omit garlic. Only use the green tips of the spring onion. Don’t use celery. Check the chilli paste and chicken stock doesn’t contain onion or garlic powder. Use rice noodles.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock and noodles.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us