Chicken chop suey
(at time of publication)
- 150g rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon garlic-flavoured oil
- 1 red capsicum, diced or sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into slices
- ½ head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (remember to use the stem as well)
- 1 ½ cups green beans (fresh or frozen), sliced or left whole
- 500g chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- ½ cup water
1 Place the vermicelli in a large bowl and cover with boiling water; soak for around 5 minutes until expanded, then drain and set aside.
2 Heat oil in large, heavy- bottomed pan, add pepper, carrot and broccoli and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add chopped chicken and ginger and stir-fry over medium heat until chicken is cooked.
3 Cut vermicelli up a little; add to the chicken together with the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, water and beans. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes — more water can be added if needed.
- Replace chicken with lean beef, lamb, pork or mince.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check sweet chilli sauce is gluten free.
Make garlic-flavoured oil by peeling and slicing garlic cloves, adding to a bottle of oil and allowing time to infuse. Remember not to use the garlic pieces in your cooking.
If you are on a low FODMAP diet choose a sweet chilli sauce that does not contain garlic or make your own.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.