Mediterranean mince and eggplant bake
(at time of publication)
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, cut into 8 slices lengthways
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, julienned or peeled into ribbons
- 75g grated parmesan
- Spray a griddle pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook eggplant slices in batches, 3-5 minutes each side, until lightly charred and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high and add mince. Cook, breaking up mince, until browned. Add onion and cook until softened. Add pesto and cook for a few more minutes. Add half the cherry tomatoes, all the chickpeas and 3/4 cup boiling water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Preheat oven grill to 180°C. Bring a saucepan full of water to the boil. Place courgettes into pan for 1 minute. Drain.
- In an ovenproof dish, place eggplant slices and spread mince mixture over the top. Add courgette ribbons and remaining cherry tomatoes. Top with parmesan. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil if you like.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information