Mediterranean mince and eggplant bake
(at time of publication)
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, cut into 8 slices lengthways
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, julienned or peeled into ribbons
- 75g grated parmesan
- Spray a griddle pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook eggplant slices in batches, 3-5 minutes each side, until lightly charred and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high and add mince. Cook, breaking up mince, until browned. Add onion and cook until softened. Add pesto and cook for a few more minutes. Add half the cherry tomatoes, all the chickpeas and 3/4 cup boiling water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Preheat oven grill to 180°C. Bring a saucepan full of water to the boil. Place courgettes into pan for 1 minute. Drain.
- In an ovenproof dish, place eggplant slices and spread mince mixture over the top. Add courgette ribbons and remaining cherry tomatoes. Top with parmesan. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil if you like.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us