Sweet and sour pork
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 350g lean pork schnitzel or steaks, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 440g can pineapple pieces in juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato sauce*
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX*
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it’s wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Heat oil in a wok over a high heat. Add pork. Stir-fry until lightly browned. Add capsicum, onion and carrot. Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. To wok add ginger, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato sauce and brown sugar. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
3 Dissolve cornflour in water. Stir into sauce. Add pineapple pieces. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Serve immediately with rice.
Sweet and sour pork (new)
- For the best texture, cook lean pork over a medium heat.
- Lean pork is as lean as skinless chicken. It’s a good source of protein, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, riboflavin, zinc and omega-3.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like