Tofu and vege satay curry
(at time of publication)
- ⅔ cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ⅓ cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, chopped
- 2 cups prepared slaw mix (without dressing)
- 200g firm tofu, cut in 2cm cubes
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra, to garnish
- chilli flakes or sliced fresh chilli, to taste (optional)
- In a pot cover rice with 1 1/2 cups water. Cover pot and bring to the boil. Turn down to low and cook for 25 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small jug or bowl place peanut butter, curry powder, coconut milk and soy sauce and mix well with a fork. Set aside.
- In a pan or wok heat 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add carrots and courgette and cook for 2 minutes. Add slaw and stir-fry briefly to combine. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining teaspoon of sesame oil to pan. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until browned. Add veges back into pan, add coconut milk mixture and ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes until curry sauce has thickened slightly. Add more water if necessary. Add coriander at last minute, then remove from heat.
- Divide curry between 2 serving plates and serve with rice. Garnish with extra coriander and chilli, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check curry powder and tofu are gluten free.
This recipe is from our Vegetarian weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meat-free meals for two, for under $67. Just grab the shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information