Seared salmon sushi bowls
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds, plus extra, to garnish
- 2 x 200g skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 100g mixed salad leaves or iceberg lettuce
- 1 large telegraph cucumber halved, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut in thin matchsticks
- 4 medium radishes, cut in thin matchsticks
1 Cook brown rice following packet instructions, or until al dente. Drain. Toss rice with 1 teaspoon each of the sesame oil and the sesame seeds.
2 Meanwhile, brush salmon with remaining sesame oil. Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Cook salmon for 2 minutes each side, for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cool for 5 minutes. Flake into chunks with a fork.
3 In a small bowl combine soy sauce, lemon juice, mirin and ginger to make ponzu dressing.
4 Divide rice, salad leaves, cucumber, carrots and radishes between serving bowls. Top each with salmon and drizzle with ponzu dressing. Sprinkle with extra sesame seeds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 28g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce is gluten free.
You can substitute radishes with half a small red onion, thinly sliced, but it won’t be FODMAP-friendly.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us