Beef massaman curry
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 500g chuck steak or blade steak,
- fat trimmed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons massaman curry paste
- 500g baby potatoes, quartered
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh coriandercilantroX, stalks and leaves kept separate, chopped
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3½ cups halved button mushrooms
- 1 lime, zest and juice, plus extra lime wedges to serve
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve (optional)
1 Preheat oven to 150°C.
2 In a large, cast iron Dutch oven (or ovenproof pot with a lid), heat oil over medium-high. Brown steak then remove from pot and set aside. To the pot, add curry paste, potatoes, onions, ginger and coriander stalks. Fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
3 Stir in coconut milk and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add mushrooms, zest and juice, fish sauce and kaffir leaves and return beef to the pot. Stir well, cover and cook in the oven for about 90 minutes.
4 Serve with rice and garnish with lime wedges, coriander leaves and chilli slices, if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Check curry paste and fish sauce are gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us