Vegan butternut and bean stew with cauliflower rice
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm dice
- Oil spray
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste
- 400g can kidney beans in water, rinsed and drained
- 1 cauliflower, quartered
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
1 Steam the squash for 15 min or until tender.
2 Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan and spray with oil, then fry the onions for 5 min. Add the honey, apricots and tomatoes. Turn up the heat and simmer rapidly for 10 min, then stir in the steamed squash, harissa and kidney beans. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 5 min.
3 While the stew is simmering, whiz the cauliflower in a food processor (or coarsely grate) to a crumb texture. Spray a large non-stick pan with oil, then add the cauliflower and cook over a medium heat for 2–3 min. Add 3 tablespoons water, then cover with a lid and cook for 2–3 min more until tender. Stir in the parsley and season with black pepper. Serve with the bean stew.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 0.6g
Dietary fibre 11.6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.