Massaman curry with jasmine and pea rice
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 450g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cubed
- ½ cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons massaman curry
- paste or medium curry paste
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup passata
- ¼ cup unsalted cashew nuts
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- ¼ cup sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced
- To serve
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- ¾ cup peas
- ¹/³ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 In a non-stick pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots and cook for a few minutes. Add beef and brown, stirring continuously, until evenly coloured. Remove beef and shallots from pan and set aside.
2 To the pan, add half of the stock and heat. Stir in curry paste and cook for a minute to release the curry flavours and aromas.
3 Return beef and shallots to the pan. Add remaining stock, remaining curry ingedients and 1½ cups water. Stir to combine. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1½ hours.
4 Thirty minutes before serving, to a saucepan of boiling water, add rice. Cook for 15 minutes then add the peas. Cook for 5 more minutes and drain well.
5 Serve the curry with rice and fresh coriander.
Make it gluten free: Check stock, curry paste and passata are gluten free.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)