Enjoy a healthy dessert and load up on vitamin C at the same time – include juicy tangelos in a citrus-fruit salad.
Availability: Mid-September to late February.
Buying: Look for bright orange, firm, fragrant fruit.
Storing: Tangelos can be stored in or out of the fridge, in a cool place.
Nutrition: Tangelos, like other fruit in the citrus family, are chock-full of phytochemicals, which are believed to enhance our health. So don't waste the vibrant outer skin, as phytochemicals are found in the flesh and the zest.
Ideas for using tangelos
- Make fresh juice by blending one kilo of tangelos with one or two apples.
- Try a mixed citrus salad for dessert with oranges, grapefruit and tangelos. Stir through a little passionfruit pulp and serve with yoghurt.
- Sprinkle fish with tangelo juice, salt and pepper and cook in foil parcels.
- Chop tangelo flesh in chunks and add to a basic muffin mixture. Garnish muffin tops with thin slices of tangelo with peel left on.
- Make a tangy salad dressing by combining tangelo juice and zest with apple cider vinegar, grated ginger and a bit of chilli (if you like it). Use on coleslaw or green salad.