Regular physical activity is vital for health and wellbeing. If you’re looking for a place to start, working towards taking 10,000 steps a day is a realistic and achievable goal.
This daily target requires incidental and planned activity, as well as a fitness tracker or step counter. Here are 10 easy ways you can achieve your 10,000 steps:
- Avoid using the lift in offices, shopping centres and train stations, and take the stairs instead.
- On your lunch break walk around the block for at least 15 minutes.
- When working from home, set a reminder to get up and walk around every hour.
- Take business calls on your mobile phone so you can walk and talk.
- Park in the furthest spot from the shops, instead of the closest.
- Pace the house while you brush your teeth.
- Play with your kids outdoors. A kick of footy or a throw of frisbee in the park can easily add up to 10,000 steps.
- Do tricep dips on the kitchen bench while you wait for the kettle to boil.
- Go for walks with friends and pets in the park.
- Consider housework, such as sweeping, mopping and vacuuming, a workout.