What to plant
Asparagus, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, onions, parsnips, peach stones, peas, radish, seed potatoes, shallots, silver beet, spinach, turnips.
Things to do
- Spray seedlings and winter crops to prevent fungus diseases.
- Use a hoe to cultivate and aerate soil among plants.
- Keep adding fertiliser to enrich soil.
- Divide established rhubarb plants (plant separated clumps in holes of fresh, free-draining soil with compost).
- Divide established herbs such as chives.
Bogged down in winter
Too much (rain) water can play havoc with plants and soil. Water fills the space between soil 'grains', which stops oxygen from reaching the plant roots.
What to do
- Don't walk on wet soil as the soil compacts, making things worse.
- To save a plant, dig it up and remove damaged roots and any dead/dying shoots, then plant it in free-draining, composted soil.
- Feed and water plants regularly.