Pork, potato and mushroom stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- ½ cup Marsala wine or sherry
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g small potatoes, halved
- 400g green beans
1 Heat half the olive oil in a large saucepan (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Cook pork, in batches, for 5 minutes, or until browned, then transfer to a bowl.
2 Heat remaining olive oil in same saucepan. Add onions, garlic, thyme and mushrooms and stir for 5 minutes, or until onion softens. Return pork to pan with Marsala and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
3 Add tomato paste and stock to pan then bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 1½ hours. Uncover, add potatoes and simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until pork and potatoes are tender.
4 Meanwhile, cook green beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes (until just tender). Drain.
5 Serve stew with green beans.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Check stock and tomato paste are gluten free.
Last updated date: 13 June 2019
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us