Time to make: 45 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 250g penne pasta
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 150g rindless eye bacon rashers, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup light and creamy evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 4 thick slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed, cut in 1cm squares
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain. Set aside.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over a medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in chives, half the mustard and half the parsley.
3 Place 1/4 cup milk with cornflour in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add cornflour mixture and remaining milk to mushroom mixture. Add pasta. Toss to coat. Remove from heat.
4 Transfer pasta mixture to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Toss bread in remaining mustard and parsley. Scatter over pasta. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
Broccoli or cauliflower would also work well in this recipe. Add small florets to pasta water for the last 3 minutes of pasta cooking time. Then add to mushroom mixture as in step 3.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us