Egg-cellent Easter eggs
(at time of publication)
- ½ cup dark chocolate melts
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 ½ cups (375g) extra light cream cheese spread
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 Place small chocolate egg moulds in the freezer for a few minutes until cold to the touch.
2 Meanwhile, melt chocolate in the microwave and spread into egg moulds. Freeze for 15 minutes before removing from the moulds. Return to freezer.
2 While chocolate is freezing, zap mango in a blender with first measure of vanilla essence. Place 16 teaspoon-sized portions on a large plate. Freeze for 45 minutes.
3 Stir remaining vanilla essence into cream cheese spread. Fill each chocolate egg shell to the brim with the cream cheese mixture. Insert a frozen fruit scoop into each egg, with about a third of the yellow sticking out
4 Eat immediately, store for up to 2 hours in the fridge, or freeze for a few days.
- These may be sweet enough but you can add a teaspoon of honey (or a stevia measure equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar) to cream cheese spread.
- You can use tinned mango, peaches or apricots: just drain before blending.
- Make it gluten free: Check chocolate melts are gluten free.
- You want hollow eggs, not solid, so paint the surface of the egg mould with the liquid chocolate, rather than fill it up.
- Half a cup of mango is enough to make the egg yolks but you may need more to ensure smooth blending. Use the leftover fruit in a smoothie, or freeze into an ice block.
- These are meant to be served open to show off the filling. However, if you prefer a traditional Easter egg, melt a few additional chocolate chips right at the end and use to glue the egg halves together.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us