Buckwheat, date, coconut and pecan granola
(at time of publication)
- 1 ½ cups wholegrain rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup pitted dates, chopped
- ⅓ cup pecan nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 130ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a large bowl, combine oats, buckwheat, cinnamon, honey and vanilla bean paste. Stir ingredients well to ensure even coating.
- Spread oat mixture on prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Add coconut, dates and pecans to tray. Bake a further 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is golden and crisp. Cool granola completely on tray.
Granola keeps in an airtight container for about a month.
Serve granola with fresh fruit, some plain low-fat yoghurt and a splash of milk.
What we did
- Changed to wholegrain oats to increase the fibre.
- Halved the saturated fat by leaving out the coconut oil and not using too much coconut.
- How much honey or agave, maple and rice syrups are used, as they are still sugars.
- Your serving size – 50g is about a third of a cup.
- Adding yoghurt, milk or a milk alternative increases energy, protein and fat. If using a milk alternative, choose one that’s calcium fortified and high in protein.
|970kJ||860kJ||11% fewer kJ|
|12g fat||7g fat||42% less fat|
|6g saturated fat||3g saturated fat||50% less saturated fat|
|4g fibre||5g fibre||25% more fibre|
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us