Honey and soda scones
(at time of publication)
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup soda waterclub soda seltzer waterX
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Sift flour in a bowl. Add soda water, evaporated milk and honey, and stir gently until just combined into a soft dough.
2 Turn dough onto a board. Don’t overwork it, or scones will be heavy. Gently pat dough into an even thickness. Cut in squares, or use a cutter to make rounds.
3 Bake for 10-15 minutes, until risen and golden on top. Serve warm with jam.
Original scones (per serve)
Total energy 783kJ
Total fat 8g (5g saturated fat)
HFG honey and soda scones (per serve)
Total energy 584kJ
Total fat 2g (<1g saturated fat)
- For date and lemon scones, omit the honey, and add 3/4 cup chopped dates and zest of 1 lemon. Glaze the top of the scones with a mix of leftover evaporated milk and honey.
- For tasty savoury scones, use 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 250ml lite beer. Add 2 tablespoons grated parmesan and 1/4 cup grated edam cheese.
If you have a pizza cutter, use this to divide the dough for your scones. It works perfectly and makes for nice, light, high scones.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us