Chicken and broccoli cheesy pasta bake
- 350g pasta shapes such as bows
- 250g (3 cups) chopped broccoli, in small florets
- olive oil spray
- 400g lean chicken breast, chopped
- 200g brown-capped mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 80g very low-fat soft cheese spread with garlic and herbs (we used Philadelphia Extra Light)
- ½ cup light evaporated milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 400g tomatoes, chopped
- 75g freshly grated reduced-fat cheese
- 50g flaked almonds
1 Add pasta to a large pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Drain, return to pan and remove from heat. Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish.
2 Spray a non-stick pan with oil and cook chicken until lightly browned. Add mushrooms with a little more spray and cook for a few more minutes.
3 Add pesto, soft cheese and milk. Heat through, stirring. Pour sauce over pasta. Add spinach and chopped tomatoes. Spoon into ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Bake for 20-25 minutes and garnish with chopped fresh herbs if you prefer.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
Serve with Warm winter salad (see tip).
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and check pesto is gluten free.
- Can be made with whole-wheat pasta and whatever pasta shape you wish.
Warm winter salad
This yummy salad goes well with pasta dishes.
Grate red cabbage, white cabbage and carrot. Thinly slice spring onions. Toss together in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Heat for a few minutes then add baby spinach and cook for a few more minutes. Drizzle with avocado oil and serve with a pasta bake.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us