Chocolate, beetroot and raspberry cake
(at time of publication)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 120g dark chocolate
- 2 cups grated raw beetrootbeetsX (from 2 medium-sized beetrootbeetsX)
- 1 cup grated pear (from 1 medium-sized pear)
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup cocoa powder, plus extra, to serve
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 10cm x 21cm x 7cm loaf tin with baking paper. Whisk eggs, oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high, stirring at 20-second intervals until smooth.
- Whisk melted chocolate into egg mixture. Stir in beetroot, pear, almond meal, cocoa and cinnamon. Gently fold raspberries into batter so they remain intact.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf tin and bake for 80–90 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Turn cake out of tin, dust with extra cocoa powder and serve.
Serve cake topped with in-season fresh fruit and a dollop of low-fat plain yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check chocolate, cocoa and cinnamon are gluten free.
This cake is suitable to freeze.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us