Time to make: 36 mins , plus 20 mins chilling
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 1/4 cups plain flourall purpose flourX, plus extra for dusting
- 2 level teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 75g reduced-fat spread
- 1/2 cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- icingfrostingX sugar, for dusting
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0.00g
Dietary fibre 0.00g
1 Preheat oven to 160°C and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
2 Sift flour and baking soda into a large bowl and add salt, spices and citrus zests.
3 Place a saucepan over low heat and add juices, spread, golden syrup and brown sugar. Stir gently until spread melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
4 Add to spice mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon (mixture will be quite firm). As soon as it comes together, turn dough out onto a clean surface dusted with flour. With clean hands, shape dough into a round shape, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5 Unwrap dough and cut into quarters. Roll out each quarter to 1cm thick. Using small snowflake-shaped cookie cutters, cut biscuits from dough and transfer to baking trays (about 5cm apart). Combine leftover dough, roll out and cut out more biscuits until all dough is used.
6 Bake for 6-7 minutes until golden. Biscuits will still be soft, but will harden as they cool. Cool on tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar when completely cool.
Recipe adapted from Little Kitchen by Sabrina Parrini (Hardie Grant Books)