Cheese bread and butter bake
(at time of publication)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 7 slices day-old grainy bread
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Soften onions in a non-stick pan with oil. Add garlic and herbs. Cook for a few more minutes.
2 Cut bread in half. Arrange half in a lightly greased, large ovenproof dish. Scatter over onions. Add the remaining bread.
3 Beat eggs together with mustard, paprika and milk. Pour over bread and press down. If you have time, leave to stand for 10 minutes.
4 Sprinkle with parmesan, then bake for 25 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh basil.
Old favourite: Quiche (per serve)
Ingredients: eggs, meat, milk or cream, pastry, vegetables
Total energy 2180kJ
Total fat 43g (23g saturated fat)
New favourite: Cheese bread and butter bake (per serve)
Total energy 850kJ
Total fat 8g (2g saturated fat)
Why it's better
- Bread reduces fat vs pastry
- Cheaper – save $7.00
- Low-fat dairy reduces total and saturated fat
- More veges and fibre
- No fatty bacon reduces total and saturated fat
- Takes less time – save 15 minutes
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.