Market day flatbread
- 6 cups plain flourall purpose flourX
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 sachet instant dried yeast (8g instant yeast)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ cupswarm water
1 In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, flour, yeast and oil. Stir in warm water and mix to form a soft dough, turn it on to the bench adding more flour if needed, then knead until smooth and springy, approx. 5-8 minutes.
2 Place dough in a clean greased bowl, cover with cling film and microwave on low power for 1 minute. Rest dough for 10 minutes then repeat. After the second rest the dough should have doubled in size. (Alternatively, set aside in a warm place until doubled in size.)
3 Punch dough down, knead lightly and divide into 2 or 4 pieces. Roll and stretch dough into oblongs and transfer to baking sheets. Add toppings of your choice and bake in a preheated oven at 210°C for 20-30 minutes. Bread should be golden and sound hollow when tapped.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6.8g
Saturated fat 0.8g
Dietary fibre 5.1g
- Ricotta, basil, tomato and parmesan: Ricotta is a low-fat soft cheese made from whey. Spread it over the bread as a base flavour, then top with slices of fresh tomato, basil leaves and grated parmesan cheese. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Thyme, bacon and goats’ cheese: Spread the dough with tomato paste, scatter with chopped bacon, crumble with goats’ cheese or feta and sprinkle with fresh or dried thyme.
- Garlic and parmesan: Brush the dough with olive oil, sprinkle with 3 chopped cloves of garlic, grated parmesan and rock salt – excellent with a cold beer, according to the expert.
- Grape and chocolate: I love this, using the fat purple grapes from our vine. The family aren’t so keen, but try for yourself or improvise with other fruit. Press the fruit over the surface of the dough, scatter liberally with chocolate chips and brown sugar. Serve warm.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us