Pear and almond sponge
(at time of publication)
- 6 large pears, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil, sunflower oil or reduced-fat spread (melted)
- spray oil, to grease
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut pears in quarters and remove pips. Place fruit in a saucepan, sprinkle over sugar and add water. Cover, bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Keep covered and hot.
2 To make sponge, in a mixing bowl place golden syrup and egg. Beat or whisk until fluffy.
3 In a separate bowl sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in almonds then fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. Gently stir in oil.
4 Pour hot fruit (and only half the cooking liquid) into a greased 6-cup-capacity baking dish. Pour sponge over the top and scatter over almonds. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with a little custard sauce.
- Any fruit can be substituted for pear.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger or spice to the dry ingredients if you prefer.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and baking powder.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.