Pear and almond sponge
- 6 large pears, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil, sunflower oil or reduced-fat spread (melted)
- oil spray, to grease
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut pears in quarters and remove pips. Place fruit in a saucepan, sprinkle over sugar and add water. Cover, bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Keep covered and hot.
2 To make sponge, in a mixing bowl place golden syrup and egg. Beat or whisk until fluffy.
3 In a separate bowl sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in almonds then fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. Gently stir in oil.
4 Pour hot fruit (and only half the cooking liquid) into a greased 6-cup-capacity baking dish. Pour sponge over the top and scatter over almonds. Bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
Serve with a little custard sauce.
- Any fruit can be substituted for pear.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger or spice to the dry ingredients if you prefer.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and baking powder.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.