Healthier chocolate brownie
- ⅓ cup each pitted dried prunes and dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- ⅓ cup oatsoatmeal uncookedX, whizzed in a blender until fine
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unrefined light soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 6½ tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 heaped tablespoon dark (70% cocoa solids) chocolate chips
- ¼ cup blueberries (use frozen, thawed, if you don't have fresh)
1 Soak the prunes and dates in 1/2 cup just-boiled water for 30 min. Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line a 20cm square baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
2 Whiz the prunes, dates and the soaking liquor in a food processor to make a purée. Transfer to a bowl, then mix in the vanilla extract.
3 Add the cocoa, blended oats, ground almonds, eggs, baking powder, sugar and yogurt. Whisk everything together with a balloon whisk to make a smooth batter, then scrape all the mixture into the prepared baking tin and level the surface.
4 Sprinkle over the chocolate chips and blueberries, then bake for 18 min or until set. Remove from the oven but leave in the tin to cool for 10 min, then transfer to a board to cool a bit more. Slice into 25 squares while still warm and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2.3g
–Saturated fat 0.9g
Dietary fibre 0.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.